Dr. Bob was a MD internal medicine, orthomolecular doctor, MD psychiatrist, chiropractor, and healer 65 years. He was a diabetic who lived to 108 years with only 1 side effect 2 years before he passed away. Dr. Bob practiced a system of medicine called orthomolecular medicine.
Orthomolecular medicine is a system of medicine practiced by medical MD’s throughout the world. It is a system of medicine that uses mainly vitamins/minerals and herbs. It mainly uses natural substances that are non-toxic and are safe in a wide range of dose.
Dr Bob used orthomolecular methods to calm down children:
Hyperactive children often have food allergies. Food allergies can destroy the effects of supplements. Therefore taking supplements at mealtime may not be beneficial. Consider using supplements 30 minutes before meals. This can allow time for the supplements to pass into the bloodstream before the meal enters the stomach.
1. Consider supplementing the amino acid taurine. It is used to treat anxiety, epilepsy, hyperactivity, poor brain function, and seizures. Taurine is found in concentrations up to four times greater in the brains of children, than in those of adults. Consider the infinite complexity of the human body. It is unlikely the high concentration of taurine in the brain of children serves little purpose. It seems more likely that high concentration of taurine in the brain indicates the workings and wisdom of a higher infinite intelligence. Taurine is considered an inhibitor amino acid that may inhibit neurotransmission. Start at low doses amounts and build up to levels that relieve symptoms. Consult with an orthomolecular doctor. Orthomolecular doctors specialize in nutrient protocols.
2. Consider supplementing the B vitamin niacinamide. Niacinamide helps prevent anxiety and other stress related messages from reaching the motor centers of the brain by occupying their receptor sites. Thus niacinamide can calm a person down. A loss of appetite, according to Dr. Abram Hoffer, is a primary sign of to much niacinamide for a child. Dr. Hoffer is the leader of the orthomolecular movement the past 6 decades. He has used niacinamide to treat patients for decades and is very familiar with its use. Consider starting at low doses and build up to levels that help relieve symptoms
3. Consider supplementing vitamin B6. Vitamin B6 is vital in synthesizing amino acids such as taurine.
A. Dr Bob found that 100 mg total daily in divided doses of niacinamide was usually needed before children began to calm down and hyperactive symptoms began to decrease.
B. Dr. Bob recommended starting at about 20 mg of niacinamide and 20 mg of taurine along with the proper dose of vitamin B6 in the AM. After several days if everything was fine, he increased the niacinamide and taurine to a second dose in the PM. After that he raised the doses slowly until symptoms were relieved, possibly adding a third dose to spread out the effects of the supplements even more. Taurine is an amino acid and other amino acids can compete with it. Therefore consider supplementing taurine 3 hours before you eat any protein and 3 hours after eating protein.
C. The B vitamin inositol works similarly to niacinamide in helping to calm down a person. If the child had any nerve tingling or other nerve symptoms such as twitches he would use inositol in place of niacinamide. Inositol helps accelerate nerve impulses while also acting as a calming nutrient, thus capable of double duty in some children who are hyperactive and also have nerve conditions. Consider starting at low doses and building levels up slowly, until symptoms start to decrease.
D. Vitamin B6 can sometimes be recommended in high doses for children. Therefore you need a nutritional expert such as an orthomolecular doctor to help determine the appropriate doses of vitamin B6 in hyperactive children.
E. Dr. Bob advised a multivitamin and mineral for children. The multivitamin and mineral can supply needed cofactors for any nutrient protocol. For example, zinc and taurine play many important roles together and a multi can provide zinc.
F. Taurine can be laboratory measured. If it is low then appropriate supplementation should be considered to increase levels to normal.
G. The B vitamins can be laboratory measured. You can measure to determine any low levels. If levels are low you should consider appropriate supplementation.
There are not many studies on taurine, niacinamide, and inositol in calming down hyperactive children. This is indicative of a flaw in the medical system and not an indictment of natural compounds. The reason the modern medical establishment does not use many natural substances may be that there is not much money available for research for natural substances. Natural substances are not compounds that can be patented. Pharmaceutical companies work on making a profit so they need to discover drugs that can be patented and become profitable. The doctors are busy with patients and depend a great deal on their pharmaceutical salespeople to keep them updated on the latest information on new treatments. Therefore the lack of research on natural substances is a flaw of the system and not a reflection on natural compounds. The lack of research on natural compounds is an issue of money. Orthomolecular doctors are familiar with the effects of natural compounds and can guide you in the use of natural methods for healing. Most natural compounds are safe at the proper doses. Orthomolecular doctors can start you off at safe low doses and build up your levels slowly until symptoms start to decrease.
(1) Bureau MH, Olson, R. W., Taurine acts on a subclass of GABA. AZ receptors in mammalian brain in vitro. Evr. J. Pharmacal 1991 May 25; 207(1): 9-1
(2) Quinn, Mr. Harris, CL, Taurine allosterically inhibits binding of (355) – t – butylbicYclop – hosphorothionate (TBPS) to rat brain synoptic membranes. Neuropharmacology 1995 Dec; 34 (12); 1607-13.
(3) Valli, M. Pringuey D., New Trends on Biochemical Mechanical Mechanism of Benzodiazepines, Therapie, 1980 Sep-Oct 35(5) 561-9.
– In order for these nutritional ideas
to be successful, you must use supplements of the highest quality. Dr. Bob often
said, “almost all supplement companies produce poor quality.”
You can consider the product page of this web site. Almost all the
products met Dr. Bob’s approval. Since
he passed away we have attempted to keep the same high standards.
DO NOT STOP ANY TREATMENT OR MEDICATION YOU CURRENTLY USE.
CONSULT WITH YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE STARTING THE USE OF SUPPLEMENTS.
for coming to the web site. Go with
the flow and contribute to the music of the motion. If you are happy with any information found on this web site,
please consider a donation.
Food and Drug Administration has not evaluate any of the statements contained on
this web site. The information
contained in this article is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent
any disease. Remember each person’s
body is different and will react differently to various herbal, vitamin and
mineral supplements. Therefore, any
supplementation must be administered on an individual basis.
Use the information found on this web site as precisely that:
Information. You and your doctor
must make any final decisions. This
information is not meant to replace any doctor and patient consultation.
This information should in no way replace your personal physician’s
Direct inquires about the site to the Web master. Remember to refresh the site to view new additions.
Page Last Modified: 26 Sep 2004